Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find a list of complete and very practical answers. Don’t forget, our experts are best placed to answer your questions so please contact us if you don’t see an answer here.

What is my reference number? I already paid but havent received it.

Every time you send an Interac e-transfer to someone, you receive a reference number to your email AND in your banking website or app. Reference numbers are provided by all financial institutions in order to track account movements. This is a standard practice. Reference numbers allow Bolland Driving Solutions team to track your payment.

How can I get started?

If you want to learn how to drive, get your driving license or simply boost your skills in the road, you are in the right place. Our monthly class usually fills very quickly. The sooner you start your class sessions the better. First, check the schedule here. Then choose the best package and register here. An eTransfer of $500 holds your seat. You can also Pay in full & take $50 off (limited time offer).

Do I need to take any test before enrolling in one of your courses?

Not at all. Most of our students don’t have any experience. However you will need to pass a vision test and a knowledge test (written or oral, it measures your understanding of Road signs and Rules of the road) at Access NS at some point before class starts or finishes, then the fun car lessons begin. After completing your car lessons you will receive our official graduation certificate. Once you have your graduation certificate you book your road driving test at Access Nova Scotia. Remember that in order to book a road driving test you have to wait 9 months from the date your Learner’s licence was issued, so the sooner you start the process the better! Register here

What is required to register? My son is 16 and currently studying his manual but hasn't yet done his written test.

There is no need to have a Beginners License or any previous knowledge to take our classes. Once you graduate from our programs you will be ready to take your tests and get your Beginners or Learner’s Licence (5N). It is a good idea that you familiarize with the Nova Scotia Driver’s Handbook as it contains necessary information for new and experienced drivers.

I'm an international student and I'd like to learn how to drive correctly in Canada. Do you have any package for me?

All our programs are perfect for you!. Most of our students have only driven a bike! We train many people from various countries including Philippines, China, India, Latin America, Middle east, and many more! Remember that Even if as a non-resident drivers (visitor) you are permitted to drive in Nova Scotia for a period of 90 days if you are in possession of a valid licence from your country, a Canadian Licence is required to legally drive a car in Nova Scotia, so you’ll need a driver’s licence issued by the government of Nova Scotia to continue driving. Visit Driving in Canada page to learn more.

Im a High School student and have little (or none) experience driving. Do you have a package for me?

All our programs are perfect for you! Most of our students have only driven a bike! We train many people schools including West Kings District High School, Avon View High School, Horton District High School, Northeast Kings Education Centre – NKEC and many others!

If I pay a deposit, when should I e-transfer the rest of the money?

Before the last day of class. Keep in mind we often have discounts and promotions if you pay in full (one payment covering the full amount of the package).

What do I need to bring to my sessions in the classrom?

  • Your best attitude to learn new things!
  • Lunch or money for your lunch
  • Water
  • Mask
  • Pen
  • Notebook
  • Be punctual, at least 10 minutes before the class start 😀

What if I missed one of the classes?

You would return to a Future group to make up that day. Missed the 3rd day of classes?.. you can return later to do it!

When do the private in-car lessons take place?

Usually a couple weeks after your last day of classes. Once All 4 days of classes are done and all fees are paid, you can start your in-car private driving lessons. Our students start their private in-car lessons in order of Who has their Beginners licence (5N) the longest, some have it a month, Some 9 months. This is the best way to expedite how soon our students successfully get their Regular (5R) licenses.

How do I get a Beginners or Learner's Licence (5N)?

A summary of the not very user friendly Registry of Motor Vehicles website indicates:

  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Proof of age (Passport, Birth certificate, etc)
  • 2 additional pieces of identification with signature
  • Pass a Vision Test
  • Pass a Road Sign Recognition Test (At least 16 of 20 questions correctly answered)
  • Pass a Rules Test (Written or Oral exam on the traffic laws and rules as described in the Driver’s Handbook, you need At least 16 of 20 questions correctly answered)

How do I get a Regular Driver's Licence (5R)?

You need to pass a driving test (conducted by a Driver Enhancement Officer from the Registry of Motor Vehicles). If you already have a Learner’s Licence and you wish to remove the “N”, you must wait 12 months from the date your Learner’s licence was issued before applying for a driving test!! 🚘. Exceptions to the 12 month waiting period are issued when you graduate from our Driving School 🎓, when you will be allowed to present your road test in 9 months only! ⌚️ Additionally, the province of Nova Scotia is giving New gender identity options for driver’s licence and photo ID card

How do I get my Certificate from Bolland Driving School?

You must graduate from one of our packages. In-car driving sessions must be completed within 12 months of last day of classroom sessions to receive our Certificate.

How do I book a Road test?

If you are a BDS Student, we book the test for you! If you are not, when ready to book a road test in NS, call Registry of Motor Vehicles to schedule it. Have your road test receipt ($53) with you when you call them (proof that you paid for the test on your own). 1-800-898-7668 (toll-free) or 902-424-5851. If you need a car 🚘 to use for your road test have a look at our “Road test warmup package“, just send us a message with 2 weeks prior notice! There may be a bit of a lineup in front of you with Covid backlog, the sooner you start and the more notice you give us the better!

What is the price for only in-car driving lessons?

If you have passed the knowledge and vision test and would like to prepare for the road driving Test, or you just need some extra training behind the wheel. We can offer private lessons starting at $80/hr. Contact us and let us know what your needs are. Availability is pretty limited.

Any package that does not include classes just the preparation for the road test and use of Car for the road test examination?

We have a pre-test package “Road test warmup” for $99. This package is intended for people who already know their way around Annapolis valley and have experience driving in highways and complex situations. As our roads are unique, there is a High fail rate for new residents coming to Kentville to take only their road tests without any previous preparation. If you have driven in downtown Kentville around the block doing lane changes and merged onto Hwy 101 from Coldbrook to South Alton exit during certain hours you know how tricky it can be. Best to be safe and register for our full “Gold medal package”.

I’m looking to upgrade my license from a 5N (begginers) to 5R (regular) and it looks like I’ll need my certificate proving that I completed a NS Driver Training Program. Its been 9 months and I cant find my certificate, can you send me a new one?

Correct. To upgrade your licence you’ll need our Certificate to prove completion of a NS Driver Training Program. Please contact us and we will issue a new one.

N removal? Newly licensed driver stage

“To graduate from the newly licensed driver stage, the driver must successfully complete a 6 hour Defensive Driving course or complete a recognized driver training course (25 hours theory, 10 hours driving time). A copy of the graduation certificate must be provided, in person or by mail, to any Registry of Motor Vehicles office for recording purposes. If a graduation certificate is not provided to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, the driver will remain in the newly licensed phase indefinitely.”